Harvest Safety Tips
As harvest begins, daylight hours get shorter and many farmers burn the midnight oil to get their crops out of the fields before the snow begins to fly. At Fairmont Farmers Mutual, we value our relationships with our policyholders, and we want everyone to stay safe this fall.
Crops in the area are looking good. Farmers should have plenty of time to wrap up harvest without yield loss, so please allow some extra time to complete harvest tasks safely. Fairmont Farmers Mutual wishes all farmers a safe and profitable harvest season.
Here are a few simple tips to help prevent farm-related injuries:
· Conduct routine maintenance and repairs on equipment before heading into the fields.
· Make sure your combine is equipped with two ABC-type extinguishers – one in the cab and one at ground level.
· Keep a small shovel in your cab to throw soil on a fire.
· Keep your combine free of debris.
· Make sure lights and turn signals work properly and SMV emblems are visible.
· Retrofit older equipment with ROPS, safety guards and shields.
· Turn machinery off before exiting or attempting to work on or around the equipment.
· Avoid baggy clothing that can become entangled in machinery.
· Use caution around flowing grain. Adults and children can become entrapped in seconds.
· Get adequate sleep and don’t take shortcuts when working around grain and machinery.
· Carry your cell phone or two-way radio with you at all times so you can summon help.
· If a fire does occur, Call 911 FIRST, and then attempt to extinguish the fire by pulling the pin on the fire extinguisher and squeezing the handles together. Aim the nozzle at the base of the fire and sweep from side to side. Remember P.A.S.S., which stands for Pull, Aim, Squeeze, and Sweep.